Tuesday, February 3, 2009

People.

I was watching the latest episode of the office tonight. First off, I am a fan of that show and I do think it is funny. But there was one part in this episode that made me sad.

About half way through the episode Michael (The boss) hosts a roast. Where everyone in the office makes fun of him, or says the things they hate about him, whatever. And watching that part kinda brought up some not so good memories for me. In Junior high- High school, I was what most kids would call a "loser". I was made fun of a lot, people were mean to me, talked bad about me behind my back, would make up rumors about me, and never take the chance to get to know me. Even when I would try to talk to people, or be nice, I would get turned down and made fun of even more.

I think that is a big part of the reason why I am always so hard on myself, and why I have a very low self esteem. And it got me to thinking:
Everyone has flaws, no one is perfect. So what place does ANYONE have to judge anyone? It feels so wrong to me to judge, make fun of, or be mean to someone who doesn't have nice clothes, or who isn't the most attractive person, or who is overweight, or underweight, or anything.

Makes me think of the saying "Don't judge a book by its cover." And that is so true to me. You can't know who someone is by what they are wearing, or what color their skin is, or their weight, or how pretty or ugly they are. You have to "Open the book, and read what's inside." Take the time to get to know someone, learn about their life, their likes and dislikes. The struggles, and triumphs that they have had in life. More often then not, if you take the time to do that, you would probably like the person.

The point I am trying to make is, get off your high horse and give people a chance. Everyone deserves a chance. I make it a point to not judge people, to try to talk to people and get to know them. I love people, I love having friends, I love being the person that people can go to and say whatever is on their mind and not worry about being judged. I love the friends that I have, And I do my best to show them that, and be there for them when no one else will be.

That is one thing that I really want to instill in my girls. I don't ever want my girls to be mean, or judgmental, or treat people the way that I got treated a lot during school. I want my girls to be the Fun, Sweet, Kind people that everyone loves. That is rare to find in people these days, but I hope to be able to raise them well enough, so that when they start going to school, and making friends, that they will give everyone a chance.

No comments: